Diocese of Alexandria
The Diocese of Alexandria, Louisiana, U.S.A., has coordinated multiple events in observance of the Year of the Priest (June 19, 2009 – June 19, 2010). The centennial of the diocese (1910-2010) has complimented the year’s events with widespread appreciation for the dedicated service of our priests, both past and present.
Scheduled events for the Year of the Priest include:
1. Day of Prayer with Mass and Veneration of Relic of Saint John Marie Vianney at Chancery Chapel, August 4, 2009.
2. Day of Reflection with Clergy Dinner hosted by Bishop Herzog, October 7, 2009, presented by Fr. Michael Champagne, S.T.D.: “Spiritual Disposition of the Priest”.
3. Day of Reflection with Clergy Dinner hosted by Bishop Herzog, March 9, 2010, presented by Dr. Brant Pitre (Notre Dame Seminary Professor of Scripture): “Jesus and the Jewish Roots of the Eucharist”.
4. Priests’ Retreat (optional) at Maryhill Renewal Center, October 12 – 16, 2009.
5. Rosary Procession and Blessing of Priests’ Cemetery by Bishop Herzog and the entire presbyterate, Maryhill Renewal Center, November 4, 2009.
6. Diocesan Service Committee “Morning Reflection and Clergy Talks” with Luncheon for Clergy and Laity, Family Life Center, Alexandria, March 6, 2010.
7. Morning of Eucharistic Exposition and Solemn Benediction with Clergy Luncheon hosted at Saint Joseph Parish, Cheneyville, April 30, 2010, presented by Fr. Curtis Mallet, J.C.L.: “The Spiritual Witness of Saint Jean Marie Vianney”.
8. Priests’ and Ordination Class gathering hosted by Saint Rita Parish, Alexandria, May 27, 2010.
9. Concluding Mass with Bishop Herzog and the entire presbyterate with Clergy Luncheon hosted by Saint Francis Xavier Cathedral Parish, Alexandria, June 11, 2010.
Participation by clergy and/or laity in the events already completed has been optimum. Parishes across the diocese have also participated by distributing printed holy cards and promotional materials on Saint Jean Marie Vianney and the Year of the Priest. Three (3) priests of the diocese were able to make pilgrimages to Ars, France to participate in international events associated with the Year of the Priest. Finally, multiple parishes in the diocese hosted events, Masses, and novenas in observance of the year.
Please do not hesitate to request further detailing of this listed information if necessary. With appreciation for your continued service to Christ Jesus and his clergy, and with the assurance of our prayers, Fr. Scott Chemino, V.G., Diocese of Alexandria.
Rev. S. Scott Chemino, J.C.L., V.G.
Office of Vicar General
Diocese of Alexandria
4400 Coliseum Blvd.
PO Box 7417
Alexandria, LA 71306-0417